Nearly 70 sub-Saharan African migrants crossed the razor-wire-topped fence into Spanish enclave near Morocco — 14 people hospitalised — “Desperation makes them stage a mass assault of the fence here.”

Peace and Freedom

Reuters

August 1, 2017

MADRID (Reuters) – Around 70 sub-Saharan African migrants crossed the razor-wire-topped fence separating northern Morocco from the Spanish enclave of Ceuta on Tuesday, leaving 14 people hospitalised, the Red Cross said.

Local police said 200 people rushed the border in a bid to reach Europe. Around 60 managed to enter the territory and were attended by the Red Cross.

Migrants frequently jump or cut through the fences of Spain’s two enclaves in northern Africa, Ceuta and Melilla, or attempt to reach them by swimming along the Moroccan coastlines.

Image may contain: 3 people, child and outdoor

In a previous instance of this type, an African migrant is lowered down from a border fence by a Spanish Civil Guard — REUTERS/Jesus Blasco de Avellaneda

The number of migrants entering Spain via Ceuta and Melilla more than doubled in the first six months of the year from the same period last year to 3,200 people, according…

View original post 669 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s