Child abductions and the withholding of access of a child by one or the other parent is on the increase Justice Minister Ionas Nicolaou said on Monday.
According to Europol data, more than 50 incidents of abduction and/or withholding a child from a parent were recorded in Cyprus during the past two years.
Specifically, 24 cases were recorded in 2015, while in 2016 the number reached 29 cases of which 16 were actual abductions.
Nicolaou, who was speaking before the House human rights committee said that a protocol had been prepared for the prevention and management of such cases, which is expected to be tabled to the cabinet by his ministry before the end of July.
“These incidents are increasing due to the rise in marriages between Cypriots and EU nationals or with third-country nationals,” he said.
He also said the government had assessed the issue…
View original post 247 more words