Dozens feared drowned after ‘migrant boat sinks off Libya’

Peace and Freedom

AFP

AFP | Libya is the departure point for thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe, and every year the Red Crescent recovers hundreds of bodies who have perished on the perilous journey across the Mediterranean Sea

ROME (AFP) – Some 60 people are missing and believed drowned after the dinghy they were on sank off Libya, the International Organization for Migration said Friday, citing survivor testimony.The inflatable had been carrying 140-150 people including women when it began taking on water five hours after setting off from North Africa on Monday, according to 80 survivors who were brought to safety in Italy.

“They don’t know how long it was before help arrived. They clung to bits of the dinghy until it fell dark, then a boat arrived and they were rescued,” IOM spokesman Flavio Di Giacomo told AFP.

 Image may contain: ocean, outdoor and water
HMS Echo

The survivors were later transferred to the British military ship…

View original post 150 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s